The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) defined by the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) – https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/ddtc_public?id=ddtc_kb_article_page&sys_id=24d528fddbfc930044f9ff621f961987
- ITAR Part 120 – Purpose and Definitions – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-120
- ITAR Part 121 – The United States Munitions List – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-121
- ITAR Part 122 – Registration of Manufacturers and Exporters – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-122
- ITAR Part 123 – Licenses for the Export of Defense Articles – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-123
- ITAR Part 124 – Agreements, Off-Shore Procurement and Other Defense Services – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-124
- ITAR Part 125 – Licenses for the Export of Technical Data and Classified Defense Articles – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-125
- ITAR Part 126 – General Policies and Provisions – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-126
- ITAR Part 127 – Violations and Penalties – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-127
- ITAR Part 128 – Administrative Procedures – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-128
- ITAR Part 129 – Registration and Licensing of Brokers – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-129
- ITAR Part 130 – Political Contributions, Fees and Commissions – https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-22/chapter-I/subchapter-M/part-130
You cannot take ITAR-controlled articles or technical data (documents, drawings, software) out of the country without a license from the State Department, even if you have no intent to transfer the items to a non-US person.
Before you leave, you’ll want to be confident that you’re compliant with US export controls, and to be able to demonstrate this if necessary.
Destination countries have their own import and export controls which may affect your entry into the country, how you can use items while there and which could restrict your ability to take them out of the destination country.
- Apply for ITAR license – https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/ddtc_public
- Export Administration Regulations definitions – https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/regulations-docs/2344-part-772-definitions-of-terms-2/file
- Difference between ITAR and EAR – https://www.exportsolutionsinc.com/resources/blog/itar-vs-ear-difference/